Kelly's 1882 Directory - Peldon or Peltington.
The principal landowners are Mrs Burgess, James Leigh Aspinwall, G.W. Gibson and John Pratt esqs.
Parish Clerk, William Pooley
Post Office - Mrs Sarah Cooper, receiver.
National School, built 1836 and enlarged in 1881 for 100 children. Miss Temperance Vince, mistress.
Carrier to Colchester - Geo. Christmas, to the 'Plough'.
Hall Rev. Carter M.A. Rectory
Bawtree Francis, farmer, The Cottage
Bean Alexander, farmer, Peldon hall
Cocks Daniel, farmer
Eagle Henry John, farmer, Peet hall
Fairhead Wm., farmer, Brick House farm
Harvey Elijah, beer retailer & farmer
Holland Golden, farmer, Haxell's farm
Neville Thomas, farmer, Rolls farm
Nice Edward, Plough
Osborne John, farmer
Pasfield John, grocer
Pullen George, Rose
Simpson Charles, poulterer
Theobald James, baker
Went William, miller
White William & Son, grocers
Wilsmer George, farm bailiff for Mrs Burgess, Peldon lodge
This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.