Harvesting in West Mersea with corn stooks standing in the field - in Mersea these were known as traves or traives. Looking across what is known in 2009 as the 'Legion Field', formerly known as Three Acres.
In the background is Barfield Road from what is now Lower 
Kingland Road to Melrose Road. The school is on the left - the belfry on the 'Old' school is still in place. The small bungalow ...
Cat1 Museum-->Papers-->Estates-->Queen's Cat2 Mersea-->Views Cat3 [Display on front screen] Cat4 Farming

Harvesting in West Mersea with corn stooks standing in the field - in Mersea these were known as traves or traives. Looking across what is known in 2009 as the 'Legion Field', formerly known as Three Acres. In the background is Barfield Road from what is now Lower Kingland Road to Melrose Road. The school is on the left - the belfry on the 'Old' school is still in place. The small bungalow with the sunshine on the roof to the right of the picture, was the home of the Whiting family for many years. The two pairs of cottages in the right half of the picture have been replaced by modern housing while the two in the centre of the picture remain the same shape but have been modernized.
One of the photographs used in Queen's Estates Souvenir brochure, advertising the sale on 24 August 1907 of a number of building plots in West Mersea. The brochure is in Mersea Museum archives.
Date: Before 24 August 1907      


Photo: Mersea Museum
Image ID SH01_001_015_001
Category 1 Museum-->Papers-->Estates
Category 2 Mersea-->Views
Category 3 [Display on front screen]
Category 4 Farming

This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.