Blackwater Stores. S.C. White & Co., Church Road. 
The postcard shows the grocery shop in the foreground and the main ironmongery and draper's shop alongside the house. Claude White holds the reins on the delivery cart watched by Archie Farthing wearing the apron. The young lad holding the bicycle is Ben Brand. The external sign on the gable end of the house above the shop advertises Cadbury's...
Cat1 Mersea-->Shops & Businesses Cat2 Families-->Farthing

Blackwater Stores. S.C. White & Co., Church Road. The postcard shows the grocery shop in the foreground and the main ironmongery and draper's shop alongside the house. Claude White holds the reins on the delivery cart watched by Archie Farthing wearing the apron. The young lad holding the bicycle is Ben Brand. The external sign on the gable end of the house above the shop advertises Cadbury's Cocoa and Mazawattee Tea.
Founded by Samuel Cant White. Claude White was one of his sons.
Notes on David Mussett's copy of this card: This shop was eventually owned by Mr Robins and became Blackwater Stores. Local people who worked there were George Milgate who came from Howard's Stores, Ken Cudmore, eventually a steward on ocean going yachts, and Fredy Garrard [?], Percy Bacon and Miss Olive Brand.
Date: 1906      


Photo: Mersea Museum - Hardy Weaver Collection
Image ID MMC_P755_095

This copyright image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2017