Images for Transport - buses and carriers 79 of 159

 Berry's bus outside the White Hart, West Mersea. The White Hart was the terminus in Mersea and in Colchester, the buses stopped outside the Hippodrome in the High Street.

Berry's brown buses were one of the first local independent bus operators - A.W. Berry & Sons Ltd, with headquarters in Port Lane, Colchester. They sold out to Eastern National in 1937.

Bus no. LC4803. This photo is on ...
Cat1 Mersea-->Pubs Cat2 Transport - buses and carriers Cat4 [Display on front screen]

Berry's bus outside the White Hart, West Mersea. The White Hart was the terminus in Mersea and in Colchester, the buses stopped outside the Hippodrome in the High Street.
Berry's brown buses were one of the first local independent bus operators - A.W. Berry & Sons Ltd, with headquarters in Port Lane, Colchester. They sold out to Eastern National in 1937.
Bus no. LC4803. This photo is on a postcard posted August 1910.
Mr A. Berry had started a service to the island in 1903, with a 13 seater wagonette.
Proprietor of the White Hart Hotel is A.H. Went.
Used in A Short History of Mersea by Elsie Karbacz, which dates the picture as 1905.
In a letter in 1962, A.S. Berry (son of A.W. Berry) says it is one of a pair of Melnes Daimler 36 seat double deckers purchased in 1905. They ran until about 1912. He estimates the picture as 1910-11. See EC62_AWB .
Date: c1910      


Photo: Mersea Museum
Image ID MF10_001
Category 1 Mersea-->Pubs
Category 2 Transport - buses and carriers
Category 4 [Display on front screen]


    Top

This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.