Search for Image ID "KEL_1914_GWG" |
Great Wigborough - Kelly's 1914 Directory Pages 702 and 703Great Wigborough is a parish 7 miles south-west fro Colchester, 8 miles from Marks Tey station on the Great Eastern railway, 11 north-east from Maldon, and about 3 miles from Tolleshunt D'Arcy station on the Kelvedon and Tollesbury light railway, in the North Eastern division of the county, Winstree Hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and union, Colchester, Clacton and Harwich joint county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Colchester and Chelmsford diocese. The parish anciently belonged to the Abbess of Barking but afterwards passed to the priory of St Osyth. The church of St Stephen, situated on the top of a hill, is a building of flint and rubble in the Early English and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel and nave, south porch, vestry, and an embattled western tower of stone with pinnacles and contains 2 bells: since 1886 £3,500 has been spent on the churches of Great and Little Wigborough: the church has 100 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from 1602; burials, 1570, and marriages, 1560. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Wigborough annexed, joint net yearly value £319, with 90 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the trustees of the late Col. F.D. Gordon Watson, and held since 1886 by the Rev. Frederick Theobald M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford. There are two manors, viz.: Abbots Hall and Barn Hall. Capt. Sir Anthony C.S. Abdy bart. who is lord of the manor of Barn Hall, and Messrs Charles Hutley and Stuart Wynter Blyth are the principle landowners. The soil is heavy; subsoil strong loam. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 2,155 acres of land, 2 of inland and 4 of tidal water and 77 of foreshore; rateable value, £1,265; the population in 1911 was 205 in the civil parish and 295 in the ecclesiastical parish.
Public Elementary (Church of England) School (mixed), built 1854 & enlarged in 1889, for 97 children; average attendance 34; Miss Amy R. Talbot, mistress.
Theoband Rev. Frederick M.a. Rectory
With thanks to University of Leicester - specialcollections.le.ac.uk
Photo: Mersea Museum
Image ID KEL_1914_GWG
Category 1 Places-->Wigborough
Category 2 Books-->Mersea Guides-->Kelly's
This image is part of the Mersea Museum Collection.