Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of a snack or an ice cream.

The eastern of the two WW2 gun emplacements along Victoria Esplanade. It was run at the time of the photograph by Mrs Sheldrick and she named it Two Sugars. It is still the Two Sugars Cafe. 
Cat1 Mersea-->Buildings Cat2 Mersea-->Beach Cat3 War-->World War 2

Once a strongpoint in West Mersea's defences against the Nazi invasion, this blockhouse is now a happy rendezvous for holidaymakers and local folk in search of a snack or an ice cream.
The eastern of the two WW2 gun emplacements along Victoria Esplanade. It was run at the time of the photograph by Mrs Sheldrick and she named it Two Sugars. It is still the Two Sugars Cafe.
Date: 14 October 1949      


Photo: Mersea Museum
Image ID DM1_AB4_021_003
Category 1 Mersea-->Buildings
Category 2 Mersea-->Beach
Category 3 War-->World War 2

This image is part of the Mersea Island Museum Collection.