-  Image Collection

Langenhoe Church. Postcard published by M. Harrison, Post Office, Abberton.
From Rev. H.K. and Mrs Hudson, Wadham, West Mersea, to Mrs Repton Dixon. 
See CW2_PCD_002 for back of card.
Langenhoe Church was built from old materials two years after the 1884 earthquake. Following structural problems, it was demolished 1962. Photo: Carol Wyatt Collection
Berry's bus outside the White Hart, West Mersea. The White Hart was the terminus in Mersea and in Colchester, the buses stopped outside the Hippodrome in the High Street.
Berry's brown buses were one of the first local independent bus operators - A.W. Berry & Sons Ltd, with headquarters in Port Lane, Colchester. They sold out to Eastern National in 1937.
Bus no. LC4803. This photo is on a postcard posted August 1910. 
Mr A. Berry had started a service to the island in 1903, with a 13 seater wagonette.
Proprietor of the White Hart Hotel is A.H. Went.
Used in A Short History of Mersea by Elsie Karbacz, which dates the picture as 1905.
In a letter in 1962, A.S. Berry (son of A.W. Berry) says it is one of a pair of Melnes Daimler 36 seat double deckers purchased in 1905. They ran until about 1912. He estimates the picture as 1910-11. See <a href=mmphoto.php?typ=ID&hit=1&tot=1&ba=cke&bid=EC62_AWB>EC62_AWB </a>. c1910.
High Street, West Mersea. Another copy of this card was posted September 1914 Before September 1914.
The LORD WARDEN at Church Wharf Salcott unloading flints, c1920. Her skipper at this time was Jack Spitty. 
Used in Down Tops'l page 65 - caption is:
LORD WARDEN after a stack at Salcot, where the creek is now dammed. On this trip the LORD WARDEN's skipper met his future wife, and they were married in the church hard by. Their son has been named after the barge. Page 123 names the skipper as Jack Spitty and his son as Victa Warden Spitty.
LORD WARDEN was built Sandwich 1891 for William Jas. Hughes, Official No. 97705. She was later owned by Clem Parker at Bradwell and Wakeley Bros of Rainham. c1920.
The urn and bones from the Roman burial barrow on East Mersea Road, soon after their return to Mersea in August 2014. They are on loan from Colchester and Ipswich Museums. When the bones were analysed, they were sorted and some of these are now on the shelf outside the urn. The bones on the left of the shelf are leg bones, in the centre are floating bits that contained the interesting new find - frankincense, and on the right are vertebrae.
The barrow is thought to date from 100 - 120 AD. 10 August 2014.
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Church Year Book 1951

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Hoy

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

-

Brian Jay

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Electoral Rolls

-

Fair Haven

-

Fishermen's Coop

-

Gowens

-

Wills

-

Other


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Dunwich

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2020