-  Image Collection

The Bathing Pool - Tollesbury Marine Lake. Postcard 126382.
Postcard is in More from Tollesbury Past, plate 24, which says:
1930s. Uncommon view of the bathing pool. The structure on the left (including the diving board) collapsed in 1980. Long before Woodrolfe Flats, the tower of the parish church can just be seen above the standing diver's head. Extreme right is the corner of Cranfield and Carter's shed, to its left, the water tower. 1930s. Photo: Cedric Gurton Tollesbury
Fire Brigade before they had uniforms, on Horry Martin's lorry in front of West Mersea Church. 
L-R 1. Horry Martin, 2. Arthur Mills, 3. Edgar Jopson, 4. Ivan Mole, 5. Herbert Burgess, 6. Horry Whiting, 7. Mr Cathercole, 8. Alec C. Green, 9. Bob Key (Island barber Johnny Hart's old shop), 10. Leonard Mills, 11. Oscar Whiting.
</p><p>
Front left Horace Martin, builder, owner of the 'Dennis' lorry VW5608. His yard was where Fred's DIY now (2018) is. The yard and lorry were later owned by Clifford White. It was used for pill box work, and was driven by a Mr Waller. A. Tredget the builder bought it after WW2. (This lorry was fierce on the clutch - ask Ted Atkins). [Ron Green]
</p><p>
Herbert Burgess spent many years working for William Wyatt, the boat builders. He was also an officer in the Sea Cadets and taught us boys to play various instruments [Owen Fletcher].
</p><p>
Photograph taken the same time as MMC_669_011 which dates it to 1928. 1928.
Hardy's Green, Birch. Stable Fields Cottage on right, now having a cedar shingle roof in place of thatch. On left are the cottages where Mr Patten, Les Polley and Sam Smith lived in the 1930s.
Photo 90B P.A. July 1994.
The Cottage near the Mill, West Mersea. Chapel Road, now Mill Road, from Queens Corner. The baker's boy is believed to be Preston Smith. Postcard by Cleghorn. Published later as a postcard by Mersea Museum. c1910.
The urn and cremated bones from Mersea Barrow, back in Mersea after 100 years. The green glass urn was made by the Romans, about 1,900 years ago. The urn was taken to Colchester 25 May 1912 after the excavation of the Barrow, and returned to Mersea on loan from Colchester Museum 23 April 2012.
Hazzledine Warren records the bowl as being height 11 6/16 inches, diameter 12 14/16 inches, opening of mouth 3 2/16 inches, across ring 7 2/16 inches, width of ring 2 inches, thickness of sides 1/16 inch. 23 April 2012. Photo: Tony Millatt
  Search text:

  or Click a Category below

Art
-

Fid Harnack

-

Leslie French



Barges

Birch
-

Buildings

-

Church

-

Events

-

Hall

-

Hardy's Green

-

Other

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

School

-

Sport



Blackwater
-

Laid up ships

-

Views


Books
-

Church Gazette

-

Coronation and Jubilee

-

Mersea Guides

-

1920s

-

1929

-

1935

-

1953

-

1971

-

1976

-

Kelly's

-

White's

-

WM Church History


Dabchicks

Disasters and Mishaps
Families
-

Bean / May

-

Cooke

-

Cornelius

-

Farthing

-

French

-

Green

-

Hewes

-

Lord / Marriage

-

Mole

-

Mussett

-

Pullen

-

Rudlin

-

Smith

-

Stoker / Brown

-

Trim

-

White


Farming

Fishing

Girl Guides

Maps and Charts

Mersea
-

Aerial views

-

Barrow

-

Beach

-

Buildings

-

Coast Road

-

Creeks, fleets, channels, saltings

-

East

-

Events

-

Fire Brigade

-

Golf Club

-

Houseboats

-

Lifeboat

-

Museum

-

Old City & the Hard

-

Pubs

-

Regatta

-

Road Scenes

-

Schools

-

Shops & Businesses

-

Strood

-

Views

-

Youth Camp

Museum
-

Artefacts and Contents

-

History

-

Fair Haven

-

Wills


Oysters

People
-

Land Army


Places
-

Birch

-

Bradwell

-

Brightlingsea

-

Colchester

-

Colne

-

Fingringhoe

-

Harwich

-

Heybridge

-

Langenhoe

-

Layer Breton

-

Layer de la Haye

-

Layer Marney

-

Maldon

-

Peldon

-

People

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Rowhedge

-

Salcott & Virley

-

Southend

-

St Osyth

-

Thames

-

Tiptree

-

Tollesbury

-

Tolleshunt D'Arcy

-

Wigborough

-

Wivenhoe

-

Shipyards

Scouts
Sea Cadets

Ship and boat building, sailmaking

Ships and Boats
-

Launches

-

Merchant

-

Power

-

Sailing

-

Naval


Smacks and Bawleys

Tollesbury
-

Buildings

-

Oysters

-

People

-

Pubs

-

River Blackwater

-

Road Scenes

-

Shops and Businesses

-

Transport

-

Woodrolfe

-

Yachting



Transport - buses and carriers

War
-

World War 1

-

World War 2



Weather
Yachts and yachting
-

Motor

-

Steam

Mersea Museum has a large collection of images, mainly of Mersea Island and the surrounding area. Those shown here are a small sample.
The images are divided into categories - click on a Category to view a selection.
Each year, a selection of the images with an accompanying audiocommentary form an audio-visual display that is run when the Museum is open.
If you can add to the information we have about an image, such as the names of the people, the place or the date, please Email us.
The collection is always increasing thanks to the kindness of may individuals. If you have photographs that are suitable for our collection, we would be pleased to hear from you. We can just take a digital copy of a photograph and return the original to you.
The images above are copyright Mersea Island Museum unless otherwise stated.


Copyright Mersea Island Museum Trust 2019